Army still occupies forts but govt denies
Shariq Majeed
Tribune News Service
Poonch, January 7Shariq Majeed
Tribune News Service
Defence minister A K Anthony's instructions don't seem to carry much weight for the army authorities here. Even as the defence minister's deadline for vacation of the government buildings, of November 30 last year, has expired, the army authorities have failed to vacate two important government buildings.
Sources in the district administration said Moti Mahal and Baldev Mahal continue to be occupied by the Army's 93 infantry brigade posted to Poonch. They said in blatant violation of the defence minister's orders, a brigade commander resides in the Moti Mahal where once Raja Moti Singh used to live.
Even though defence sources said both these historical buildings were occupied by the Army in the pre-militancy era in the state, but as per the defence minister's instructions, these buildings also need to be vacated.
“The Army is carrying out liaison with the civil administration for suitable alternate arrangement for the buildings occupied by us,” said an army officer asking not to be named. “It is the duty of the state government to provide us the alternate arrangement.”
However, defence sources said the Army authorities have made their mind not to vacate these forts and instead are in the process of working out a memorandum of understanding for looking after these historical buildings.”
Defence spokesperson Lt-Col S.D. Goswami told The Tribune that the Army is working out an action plan and memorandum of understanding with the state government to ensure safety and security of these historical monuments.
Expressing ignorance over the occupation of the twin forts by the Army, Deputy Commissioner, Poonch, B.D. Sharma said, “I am not aware of this case”.
UNI adds from
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home